SEA Credential:
All school psychologist positions require completion of an approved program for the preparation of school psychologists, resulting in a doctor of philosophy, doctor of psychology, doctor of education, education specialist degree, or the equivalent, including a master's degree, as determined by the institution and approved by the state superintendent.

Applicants must complete a 2-semester internship in school psychology under the supervision of a cooperating school psychologist and a written recommendation from the school system administration as part of an approproved program.

The following categories exist for state licensing:
One Year with Stipulations: Renewable license granted to school psychologists who have completed their school psychology coursework, but have yet to complete their internship.
Tier II: Provisional License: A renewable license credential that remains valid for 3 years. A person with a Tier II license may apply for a Tier III license after completing 6 successful semesters in an educational setting in the area of licensure.
Tier III: Lifetime License: Once a school psychologist has completed 6 successful semesters in an educational setting, they may apply for a Tier III or lifetime license. This license remains valid unless the educator has not been employed by a school district for 5 consecutive years or if the educator submits an unsatisfactory background check. Background checks are conducted once every 5 years.

Continuing Education Requirements:

Scope of Practice:
The SEA credential allows for practice in public schools and pre-K and early childhood settings. School psychologists may also provide contracted services in schools. WDPI also defines school psychology and a school psychology evaluation tool based on the NASP Practice Model. School psychologists also are included in the Pupil Service Standards. One must apply through the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services in order to practice outside of schools. Wisconsin offers a designation titled "private practice school psychologist" that requires completion of at least a specialist's degree in school psychology, an internship, an SEA credential, and a written exam.

SEA website: http://dpi.wi.gov/

SEA Consultants/Contacts:
Elizabeth Cook
School Psychology Consultant
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
(608) 266-1999; (800) 441-4563

SEA documents, regulations, or standards: Wisconsin Administrative Code, Chapter PI 34


Evaluation rubric for school psychologists: http://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/sspw/pdf/psschoolpsychrubric.pdf

Psychology board website: https://dsps.wi.gov/Pages/Professions/Psychologist/Default.aspx