In This Section
Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential.
Level 1 School Psychologist License: Requires:
- A degree from an approved master's degree or equivalent program consisting of a minimum of 60 semester (90 quarter) hours in school psychology at an accredited institution.
- A one school year internship or its equivalent with a minimum of 1200 clock hours in school psychology. At least 600 of the 1200 clock hours shall be in a school setting or a setting with an educational component.
- Minimum score of 147 on the Praxis test #5402.
- A recommendation from a Utah institution whose program of preparation for school psychologists has been approved by the USBE, or an educator's license in school psychology from another state's Board of Education or current certification as a nationally certified school psychologist (NCSP) by the National School Psychology Certification System (NSPCS) established by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
Level 2 School Psychologist License: Requires:
- Satisfying the requirements for the Level 1 school psychologist License.
- Completion of at least 3 years of successful experience as a school psychologist under a Utah Level 1 School Psychologist License.
- A recommendation by the employing school district or charter school with consultation from a teacher education institution.
Level 3 License: A Level 3 license is issued to an educator who holds a current Utah Level 2 license and has also received, in the educator's field of practice, National Board Certification or a doctorate from an accredited institution.
Utah also has a temporary credential for all educators, including School Psychologists, called a "letter of authorization" (LOA). The School Psychologist has to have been employed by the LEA, then the LEA requests the LOA from the State Board of Education licensing coordinator.
Continuing Education Requirements:
Level 1 credential is renewed every 3 years and requires 100 points of professional development. However, if one has had 3 years of experience in a Utah school after receiving a level 1 license, one must upgrade to Level 2.
Level 2 credential is renewed every 5 years and requires at least 3 years of work experience within last renewal cycle and 100 points (hours) of professional development.
Level 3 credential is renewed every 7 years and requires at least 3 years of work experience within last renewal cycle and 100 points (hours) of professional development.
Types of activities allowed are provided in the UT admin code.
Scope of Practice:
School psychologists with the USBE credential can provide services in public schools (K-12), early childhood and pre-K settings, and private and charter schools. The USBE credential also allows one to provide contract services in schools. The USBE credential does not allow practice outside of schools. Doctoral-level school psychologists may apply for licensure through the Utah Department of Professional Licensing. Utah does not offer an Applied Behavior Analysis credential.
USBE website: http://www.schools.utah.gov
250 E 500 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
USBE documents, regulations, or standards:
Psychology board website: http://www.dopl.utah.gov/licensing/psychology.html