In This Section
Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential and renewal.
Preliminary School Psychologist Certificate: (Michigan Administrative Rule 380.204 & 380.205) Valid for 3 years and available to individuals who meet the following requirements:
- Complete a graduate degree in an approved school psychology certification program (no less than 45 semester credit hours); and
- Complete a supervised internship of a minimum of 600 clockhours in school psychology; and
- Possess a valid out-of-state school psychologist certificate or license if the school psychologist program was completed in another state.
School Psychologist Certificate: (Michigan Administrative Rule 380.206) Valid for 5 years and available to individuals who meet the following requirements:
- Possess a current or expired Preliminary School Psychologist Certificate; and
- Complete a state-approved specialist-level degree or the equivalent (no less than 60 semester credit hours) in school psychology with a 1200 clock-hour internship from an Educator Preparation Institution (EPI).
An out-of-state applicant may qualify for a School Psychologist Certificate, valid for 5 years, as an initial certificate if the individual meets the following requirements (Administrative Rule 380.206):
- Complete specialist-level degree or the equivalent (no less than 60 semester credit hours) in school psychology with a 1200 clock-hour internship from an out-of-state EPI; and
- Possess a valid Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) credential issued by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), or a valid, standard school psychologist certificate from the state where the program was completed.
Continuing Education Requirements:
A Preliminary School Psychologist Certificate: A one-time, 3-year renewal requires the completion of at least 6 semester credit hours in an approved school psychologist program from an EPI. The credit must be completed since the issue date of the preliminary psychology certificate. The preliminary school psychologist certificate may also be renewed with a valid, out-of-state school psychologist certificate.
A School Psychologist Certificate: Valid for 5 years and renewable using one of the following options:
Option A: One of the following Education-related professional learning options completed since the issue date of the most recent school psychology certificate or renewal and logged into MOECS:
- 6 semester credit hours appropriate for performing the roles of a school psychologist from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- 150 Michigan State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) appropriate for performing the roles of a school psychologist; or
- 150 hours of Michigan District Provided Professional Development (DPPD) appropriate for performing the roles of a school psychologist.
- Any combination of the above equaling 150 hours.
Option B: A valid Michigan Professional Teaching Certificate.
Option C: A valid Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) credential.
Option D: A valid out-of-state school psychologist certificate. Option D is for a onetime renewal only.
Professional Learning Conversion:
- College credit: 1 semester credit = 25 professional learning hours
- SCECH Hours: 1 SCECH hour = 1 professional learning hour
- DPPD Hours: 1 DPPD hour = 1 professional learning hour
Scope of Practice:
The SEA credential does not allow for private practice outside the schools. To practice outside of schools, one must apply through the Michigan Board of Psychologists.
SEA website: http://www.michigan.gov/mde
Psychology board website: http://www.michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-27417_27529_27552---,00.html