In This Section
Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential and satisfies renewal requirements.
Provisional Certificate: The Provisional Certificate is issued for 1 year and is renewable once, unless due to lapse, under the following conditions:
- Completed academic preparation in a school psychology training program that meets the requirements of the Standards for Training Programs in School Psychology, except for the internship. The internship shall be completed during the time of employment under the Provisional Certificate in accordance with the internship requirements. The Provisional Certificate may be renewed for one additional year when necessary to complete the internship. A written request from the applicant and the Director of the Training Program or Intern Supervisor must be received by the LDE.
- Issued to persons whose credential has lapsed and who have not met the requirements for renewal. This type of provisional credential is not renewable.
Standard Certificate: The Standard Certificate is issued for 5 years (renewable) upon the applicant's meeting the following requirements:
- Completion of a school psychology training program in Louisiana, which meets the requirements of the Standards for Training Programs in School Psychology.
- Completion of academic preparation in school psychology in another state and submission of academic preparation, as evaluated by the Bureau of Higher Education and Teacher Certification, judged to meet the requirements of the Standards for Training Programs in School Psychology.
- Current NCSP.
There are two levels of Standard Certificates:
Level A: Issued to applicants who meet the requirements for the Standard Certificate and who possess a doctoral degree (such as PhD, EdD, or PsyD) in psychology from a regionally accredited institution.
Level B: Issued to applicants who meet the requirements for the Standard Certificate and who possess a master's or specialist degree from a school psychology training program in a regionally accredited institution.
Field experience requirements (practicum and internship) are consistent with NASP standards.
Continuing Education Requirements:
- At least 1 year of full-time experience or the equivalent as a psychologist; and either (a) 6 semester hours of additional graduate credit in any of the areas specified in the Standards for Training Programs in School Psychology; (b) 90 professional development contact hours (or 9.0 CEUs) currently awarded by the State Department of Education, NASP, or APA; or (c) a combination of graduate credit hours and continuing professional development/education Units equivalent to 6 semester hours or 90 CPD contact hours; or
- Holding the NCSP
Renewal occurs every 5 years. NASP-approved continuing professional development hours are accepted towards renewal.
Scope of Practice:
School psychologists holding the SEA credential can provide services in K-12 public schools, pre-K and early childhood settings, and college and university settings. The SEA credential does not allow for private practice outside the schools. To practice outside of schools, one must apply through the Louisiana Board of Examiners of Psychologists.
A person may provide professional supervision to an entry level school psychologist if he/she is credentialed as a school psychologist under current credentialing requirements (Level A or B), and has had at least 3 years of supervised experience as a school psychologist, at least two of which have been in Louisiana. School psychologists also qualify for the Qualified Mental Health Professional Counselor credential, approved by the Louisiana DOE. Louisiana has also adopted a Certified Behavior Analyst credential, for which some school psychologists may be eligible. The requirements for both certifications as well as certification as a school psychologist can be found in Bulletin 746-LA Standards for State Certification of School Personnel
SEA website: http://www.louisianabelieves.com/
State Credentialing Contact:
Hannah Dietsch, assistant superintendent
Psychology board website: http://www.lsbep.org/