NCSP recognized as a pathway to the Tier 2 license

SEA Credential:
In order to be eligible for a license as a school psychologist, an applicant shall meet all of the following requirements:

  • Completion of an approved school psychology program that results in a doctor of philosophy, doctor of psychology, doctor of education, education specialist degree, or the equivalent, as determined by the institution and approved by the state superintendent.
  • Receive an institutional endorsement.
  • Meet the content knowledge requirement by completing at least one of the following:
    • 1. Having a cumulative grade point average of not less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for courses in the subject area or position.
    • 2. Having a passing score on a standardized test approved by the state superintendent.
    • 3. Completing a content-based portfolio designed by the educator preparation program.
  • OR holds a valid credential as a Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP)

The following categories exist for state licensing:

Tier I: Renewable license granted to applicants who have completed their school psychology coursework resulting in at least a Master's Degree, but have yet to complete their internship.
Tier II: Provisional License: A renewable license that remains valid for 3 years. Applicants who already meet the general requirements listed above may apply for a Tier II license. The NCSP is also accepted as a path to the Tier 2 license.
Tier III: Lifetime License: Once a school psychologist has completed 6 successful semesters in an educational setting under a Tier II license, they may apply for a lifetime license. This license remains valid unless the educator has not been employed by a school district for 5 consecutive years or if the educator submits an unsatisfactory background check. Background checks are conducted once every 5 years. 

Continuing Education Requirements:

Scope of Practice:
The SEA credential allows for practice in public schools and pre-K and early childhood settings. School psychologists may also provide contracted services in schools. WDPI also defines school psychology and a school psychology evaluation tool based on the NASP Practice Model. School psychologists also are included in the Pupil Service Standards.

SEA website: http://dpi.wi.gov/

SEA Consultants/Contacts:
Tim Peerenboom
School Psychology Consultant
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
(608) 266-1999; (800) 441-4563

SEA documents, regulations, or standards: Wisconsin Administrative Code, Chapter PI 34


Evaluation rubric for school psychologists: http://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/sspw/pdf/psschoolpsychrubric.pdf

Psychology board website: https://dsps.wi.gov/Pages/Professions/Psychologist/Default.aspx