In This Section
The Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) credential is accepted for a continuing professional license issued through the SEA to practice school psychology in NC
School Psychologist (Professional Educator's License - School Psychology)
- Advanced degree in school psychology
- Completion of program in school psychology (minimum 60 graduate semester hours, including internship [specialist minimum 1200 hours; doctoral minimum 1500 hours]). At least 600 hours of the internship experience must be in a school setting
- Qualifying score of 147 or higher on the Praxis School Psychologist exam
Eligibility for Provisional Licensing:
Provisional licenses are issued only at the request of the employing LEA (public school unit). To be eligible for a provisional license, the individual must be assigned in the license area. Specific eligibility requirements for provisional licensing include:
- completion of all program requirements at the advanced level except for the thesis or internship
- written confirmation from the college/university at which the individual has matriculated concurring with the individual's employment
Follow the step-by-step instructions to submit an application through the NCDPI Online Licensure System.
Continuing Education Requirements:
Renewal occurs every 5 years and requires the accrual of 8 Continuing Education Units (80 hours of continuing professional development); 3 (30 hours) of which need to be content specific to the professional discipline area. Find out more about renewal requirements.
Scope of Practice:
The NC State Board of Education approved NC Professional School Psychology Standards and School Psychologist Evaluation Process are based on a comprehensive program of school psychological services derived from the NASP Practice Model. In NC, practice outside of the public school setting (including private schools) requires a license issued through the NC Psychology Board.
SEA main website: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/
SEA School Psychology Website: https://www.dpi.nc.gov/districts-schools/classroom-resources/academic-standards/programs-and-initiatives/nc-healthy-schools
SEA School Psychology Position Openings: https://northcarolina.schoolspring.com/
SEA contact: Megan Cardin, School Psychology Consultant; Megan.Cardin@dpi.nc.gov