North Carolina

The Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) credential is accepted for a continuing professional license issued through the SEA to practice school psychology in NC 

SEA Credential:

School Psychologist (Professional Educator's License - School Psychology)

Minimum Requirements:

  • Advanced degree in school psychology
  • Completion of NASP or APA approved program in school psychology (minimum 60 graduate semester hours, including internship [specialist minimum 1200 hours; doctoral minimum 1500 hours]). At least 600 hours of the internship experience must be in a school setting
  • Qualifying score of 147 or higher on the Praxis School Psychologist exam

Eligibility for Provisional Licensing:
Provisional licenses are issued only at the request of the employing LEA. To be eligible for a provisional license, the individual must be assigned in the license area. Specific eligibility requirements for provisional licensing include:

  • completion of all program requirements at the advanced level except for the thesis or internship
  • written confirmation from the college/university at which the individual has matriculated concurring with the individual's employment

Follow the step-by-step instructions to submit an application through the NCDPI Online Licensure System

Continuing Education Requirements:

Renewal occurs every 5 years and requires the accrual of 8 Continuing Education Units (80 hours of continuing professional development); 3 (30 hours) of which need to be content specific to the professional discipline area. *NOTE: beginning July 1, 2019, license renewals will require 3 (30 hours) in professional discipline area, 2 (20 hours) in digital learning competencies; and 3 (30 hours) of general continuing education. Find out more about renewal requirements.

Scope of Practice:

The NC State Board of Education approved NC Professional School Psychology Standards and School Psychologist Evaluation Process are based on a comprehensive program of school psychological services derived from the NASP Practice Model.  School psychologists may also qualify for the Licensed Psychological Associate credential. In NC, practice outside of the public school setting requires a license issued through the NC Psychology Board

SEA main website:
SEA School Psychology Website:
SEA School Psychology Position Openings:
SEA contact: Lynn K. Makor, Consultant for School Psychology;