New Jersey

Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential

SEA Credential:
School Psychologist: Requires candidates to hold a master's or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university including: a NJ Department of Education-approved school psychology graduate curriculum or a minimum of 60 semester-hour graduate credits, a 300-hour practicum in school psychology, and 1200-hour externship (internship) in school psychology. (NJAC 6A)

Holders of a currently valid Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) license will automatically be issued a standard New Jersey School Psychologist certificate. After applying, please sumbit official transcripts and a copy of the NCSP license.

Emergency Credential may be granted at the request of a school district to a NJ county superintendent. School districts desiring authorization to employ an intern under an emergency credential must submit the name of the credentialed school psychologist under whose supervision the internship will be completed, the dates of the internship and the total number of clock hours of the internship, and the transcript of the intern showing successful completion of a minimum of 40 semester-hours applicable towards a standard school psychologist credential.  (NJAC 6A)

Continuing education requirements to maintain credentials:

School Psychologist is a standard and permanent credential defined that is issued to a person who has met all credentialing requirements. The New Jersey Department of Education requires 100 hours of continuing professional development to be completed within a 5 year cycle. This requirement is monitored through the local education agency for which the school psychologist is employed.

Scope of practice:

School psychologists holding the SEA credential can provide services in K-12 public schools, pre-K and early childhood settings, private and charter schools, and college and university settings. They may also provide services in hospital or clinic settings if these settings are approved by the department of education. See  School psychologists with the SEA credential may also provide contracted services in schools. To practice independently (outside the schools), persons must seek licensure from the New Jersey Department of Law and Safety, Division of Consumer Affairs. Doctoral level-trained persons may be eligible to apply to the New Jersey State Board of Psychological Examiners (NJSBPE). Master's level-trained persons may be eligible to apply for private practice licensure through the division of Marriage and Family Counselors (MFC).

SEA website:

N.J.A.C. 6A:9B, State Board of Examiners and Certification

N.J.A.C. 6A:9C, Professional Development

Psychology Board website (NJSBPE):
NJ Marriage and Family Counselors website: