New Hampshire

SEA Credential:

School psychologist credential requires:

1. Completion of any state board of education approved doctoral, certificate of advanced graduate study/specialist, or master's level program in school psychology


2. Meeting both of the following requirements:

  • Completion of at least 60 semester hours or the equivalent of graduate study culminating in at least a master's degree, of which at least 54 hours are exclusive of credit for the supervised internship experience as described in b.; and;
  • Experience in a supervised internship in a general school setting for 1,200 clock hours, full-time over one year or half time over 2 consecutive years in a general school setting, provided that if additional experiences are provided in mental health clinics, psychiatric hospitals, and other institutions for children, such experiences shall not replace the supervised internship in a general school setting for more than 600 of the 1,200 hours.

Associate school psychologist:
This credential is no longer being issued. Individuals currently certified as Associate School Psychologist may continue to renew their certificate. Individuals holding the Associate School Psychologist certificate are able to upgrade their certificate to School Psychologist for a nominal fee. The NH DOE Bureau of Credentialing is encouraging Associate School Psychologists to do so.

*New Hampshire also offers other alternatives routes to licensure, which are detailed in Part ED 505

*There is an additional (optional) license through the Board of Psychology which allows for participation in Medicaid to Schools program. Anyone with an SEA certificate/license in good standing is eligible for the additional credential as the new rules for renewal are established.

Continuing Education Requirements:

Requires 75 hours of professional development every 3 years. All employed certified educators must renew their credentials through their district or school administrative unit staff development committee and submit renewal forms to the Bureau of Credentialing. Certified educators not employed by a school District or School Administrative Unit may renew their certificate by submitting their renewal credentials directly to the NH DOE Bureau of Credentialing.

Scope of Practice:

The range of services provided by school psychologists can be found in Ed 306.25. School psychologists with the SEA credential can provide services in public schools (K-12), early childhood and pre-K settings, and private and charter schools. The SEA credential also allows one to provide contract services in schools. The SEA credential does not allow for private practice outside the schools. To provide psychological services outside of schools, one must apply through the New Hampshire Board of Psychology (Psychologist) or the NH Board of Mental Health Practice (Pastoral Psychotherapist, Independent Clinical Social Worker, Clinical Mental Health Counselor, Marriage and Family Therapist).

SEA website:

SEA Documents:

Psychology board website:

NH Board of Mental Health Practice: