Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential.

SEA Credential:

Class 5 Educator License - Alternative License - School Psychologist: The Class 5 is a three-year, non-renewable license and requires:

  • Master's Degree in School Psychology or a related field;
  • Required graduate course work/content with a minimum official transcript grade of B or better in the following areas;
  • Graduate course work / content with a minimum official transcript grade of B or better in at least 6 of the following areas; and
  • a Professional Supervised Experience Plan

All Class 5 school psychologists must be under the supervision of a qualified Class 6 School Psychologist.

Class 6 Educator License - School Psychologist: Requires one of the following:

  • NCSP;
  • A minimum of a specialist level of training and graduate degree in School Psychology from a NASP approved School Psychology program; or,
  • A Master's degree or higher in school psychology or a related field from an accredited institution which includes graduate coursework or course content with a minimum official transcript grade of B or better across areas

Additionally, applicants for the Class 6 must have one of the following:

  • Documentation, including reviews, of a professionally Supervised Experience Plan applied in a school setting and supervised by a Class 6 School Psychologist during the period in which the applicant held a Class 5 Alternative License 
  • Applicants who have NOT previously held a Montana Class 5 Alternative License should provide documentation of a completed one year supervised internship as a School Psychologist

Continuing Education Requirements:

Renewal occurs every 5 years and requires 60 hours of Montana Office of Public Instruction (OPI) renewal credit units (60 contact hours) or any combination of OPI renewal units and graduate level credits. 1 semester credit = 15 contact hours. 1 quarter credit = 10 contact hours.

Scope of Practice:
The SEA credential allows for practice in public schools as well as pre-K and early childhood settings.. To practice outside of schools, one must apply through the Montana Board of Psychologists.

Montana also offers a Supervision Institute, which is a 2-day course leading to a Certificate in Supervision for School Psychologists issued by the Montana Association of School Psychologists. With an additional written component, this may be taken as one credit from the University of Montana.

SEA website:

SEA documents: Class 5 & Class 6 Verification of Requirements

State Consultants/Contacts:
Shawna Rader Kelly
Credentialing Review Board, Applicant Liaison

Greg Machek

Andy Mogan
Credentialing Review Board

Psychology board website: