SEA Credential:
Conditional School Specialist License: Requires the following:

  1. Graduate degree from a regionally accredited college
  2. Completion of a graduate level state-approved program
  3. 3.25 cumulative grade point average in graduate coursework
  4. Recency - meaning the applicant must have at least 8 credit hours or 1 year of accredited experience completed within the last 6 years
  5. Passing score (157) on the Praxis II

Professional School Specialist License
: The applicant must hold a currently valid conditional school specialist license. While holding the conditional license the specialist must complete a supervised internship through a Kansas college while employed as a school specialist.

Work Authorization: Professionals who hold Master's degree in a related area (i.e., encompassing at least 15 hours of school psychology coursework) and who hold a license from a regulatory entity such as KSDE or BSRB may be eligible for a work authorization. A work authorization allows the candidate to be employed as a school psychologist and be reimburseable, without their license, if in good standing in a Kansas school psychology program that will lead to the Ed.S. and an initial license.

Continuing Education Requirements:
University Credit: 6 semester hours of additional recent college credit from a regionally accredited college or university within the 6-year period prior to application for renewal or

Inservice or Professional Development Credit: Completion of 120 additional Kansas inservice or professional development hours or

Verification of three years of accredited experience during the most recent 5-year Kansas credential and within the 6-year period prior to the application for renewal. This type of experience renewal may be used only twice in the applicant's career and is only available for advanced degrees earned prior to July 1, 2003.

Must renew every 5 years. NASP-approved continuing professional development hours are accepted towards renewal.

Scope of Practice:

School psychologists with the SEA credential can work in public schools (K-12), early childhood and pre-K settings, private and charter schools, and college and university settings. The SEA credential does not allow for private practice outside the schools. To practice outside of schools, one must apply through the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board.

S.B.R. 91-31-42 allows a school accredited through the Quality Performance Accreditation System to request a licensure waiver to assign an individual to teach in a subject or at a grade level not authorized by the teacher's Kansas teaching credential. That law states that waivers shall not be available for school psychologists.
The school psychology scope of practice, which continues to be aligned to NASP 2000 Standards, is defined on pages 425-423 of the Regulations and Standards for Kansas Educators.

In Kansas, it is important to distinguish between receipt of a conditional school specialist endorsement license and a waiver of licensure requirements, which is not available to school psychologists. Individuals who do not meet Kansas requirements for a regular school psychologist license are eligible for a provisional license if they meet the many requirements for that license, including that they hold a currently valid professional license and have finished more than 50% of an approved school psychology program, among other requirements described in current regulations. But those same individuals who instead attempt to work in a district via a license waiver will find the request rejected by KSDE, as license waivers are not available to school psychologists.

SEA website: http://www.ksde.org/
SEA documents: Regulations and Standards for Kansas Educators

Psychology board website: http://ksbsrb.ks.gov/