Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential for Accomplished Practitioner License.
SEA Credential:
Proficient Practitioner License: Applicant must have successfully completed a master's degree from an approved school psychologist program, or, if already degreed, have completed additional coursework from an approved school psychologist program.

An applicant may obtain the Accomplished Practitioner License when the applicant has:

  1. Completed 5 years of experience as a school psychologist subsequent to the issuance of the proficient practitioner license
  2. Completed an educational specialist or higher degree in a psychology-related field at an approved program to offer the appropriate course work
  3. Been recommended for the accomplished practitioner license by the licensing advisor at the approved program or completed all requirements for the NCSP and holds a currently valid NCSP

Field experience and graduate semester hour requirements are not specified.

Continuing Education Requirements:
Proficient License must be renewed after 2 years.
The Accomplished License must be renewed every 5 years by acquiring 90 clock hours (1 semester hour = 15 clock hours). Current license holders have several options for license renewal.

Scope of Practice:
The SEA credential allows school psychologists to practice in prekindergarten through grade 12 as well as contract services in schools. A description of services and effectiveness rubric are available. However, Indiana offers those holding an SEA credential an Independent Practice Endorsement. An individual who applies for an endorsement as an independent practice school psychologist must meet the following requirements:

  1. Be licensed as a school psychologist by the professional standards board.
  2. Be employed by a developmental center, state hospital, public or private hospital, mental health center, rehabilitation center, private school, or public school at least 30 hours per week during the contract period unless the individual is retired from full-time or part-time employment as a school psychologist or the individual has a medical condition or physical disability that restricts the mobility required for employment in a school setting.
  3. Have at least a 60 semester hour master's or specialist degree in school psychology.
  4. Demonstrate graduate level competency through the successful completion of course work and a practicum in the areas of assessment and counseling.
  5. Have completed at least 1200 hours of school psychology experience beyond the master's degree level. At least 600 hours must be in a school setting under the supervision of a licensed psychologist or school psychologist.
  6. Have completed, in addition to the requirements in subdivision (5), at least 400 hours of supervised experience in identification and referral of mental and behavioral disorders, including at least 1 hour each week of direct personal supervision with at least 10 hours of direct personal supervision.
  7. Have completed, in addition to the requirements of subdivisions (5) and (6), 52 hours of supervision that meets the following requirements:
    1. The 52 hours must be completed within at least 24 consecutive months, but not less than 12 months.
    2. Not more than 1 hour of supervision may be included in the total for each week.
    3. At least 900 hours of direct client contact must take place during the total period under clause (a).
  8. Furnish satisfactory evidence to the board that the applicant does not have a conviction for a crime that has a direct bearing on the applicant's ability to practice competently.
  9. Furnish satisfactory evidence to the board that the applicant has not been the subject of a disciplinary action by a licensing or certification agency of any jurisdiction on the grounds that the applicant was not able to practice as a school psychologist without endangering the public.
  10. Pass the examination provided by the board.

A school psychologist who is not employed or excused from employment shall not provide services on a private basis to a person unless the school psychologist receives a referral from one of the following: (a) a developmental center, (b) a public school or private school, (c) A physician licensed under IC 25-22.5, (d) a health service professional in psychology licensed under IC 25-33-1. 22.

A school psychologist who is endorsed under this article shall not provide services on a private basis to a student: (a) who attends a school (including a nonpublic school) to which the school psychologist is assigned, or (b) whom the school psychologist would normally be expected to serve.

Licensing for private practice is also available from the Indiana State Psychology Board Professional Licensing Agency for doctoral level only.

SEA website:

Psychology board website: