Holding the NCSP credential satisfies state requirements for initial certification as well as renewal

SEA Credential:
Pupil Personnel Services Certificate, School Psychologist Endorsement: Requires institutional endorsement and completion of a minimum of 60 graduate semester credit hours, which must be accomplished through one of the following:

  1. Completion of an approved master's degree in education or psychology and completion of a school psychology specialist degree program.
  2. Completion of an approved 60 semester credit hour (or 90 quarter credit hour) master's degree program in school psychology.
  3. Completion of an approved 60 credit hour school psychology specialist degree program which did not require a master's degree as a prerequisite, with experience in a classroom (may include teaching, student teaching, or special education practicum), and completion of a 1200 hour internship under the direct supervision of a credentialed school psychologist.
  4. Earn a current and valid National Certification for School Psychologists (NCSP) issued by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)

If the applicant holds a current, valid credential in another state and submits a complete application, the applicant may receive a 3-year Idaho interim certificate. The interim certificate will allow the applicant to work in an Idaho school in the endorsed area indicated on the interim certificate while completing any Idaho coursework and/or testing requirements. Once all deficiencies noted on the interim credential are completed, the applicant may apply for a renewable, 5-year initial Idaho credential. If the initial evaluation demonstrates that the applicant meets all requirements, then a renewable, 5-year credential will be issued instead of the interim credential.

Continuing Education Requirements: Requires 6 semester credit hours every 5 years. May satisfy 3 of the 6 semester hours through inservice professional development (15 inservice hours = 1 semester credit hour). The renewal credit requirement may be waived if the applicant holds a current valid NCSP credential.

Scope of Practice: School psychologists holding the SEA credential can provide services in K-12 public schools, pre-K and early childhood settings, private and charter schools, and college and university settings.  School psychologists with the SEA credential may also provide contracted services in schools.. One must apply through the Idaho Board of Psychologist Examiners to provide services in independent practice settings.

SEA website:

SEA contact/consultant:
Jerry Jensen
Certification Technical Specialist II
Certification/Professional Standards Commission
State Department of Education
P. O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0027
(208) 332-6881

SEA documents:

Psychology board website: