Using the NASP Practice Model Implementation Guide
This guide is a flexible resource to help you bring your district's school psychological services into closer alignment with the roles delineated in the NASP practice model. This section of the guide serves as an introduction to its organization and use.
In This Section:
- Enhancing Practice Starts With You
Active engagement of school psychologists like you is critical to the successful implementation of the model throughout the country.
- Effecting Change Step by Step
The NASP Practice Model is also an important tool for creating the capacity to make the best, most cost-effective use of school psychologists' skills and expertise.
- Organization of Guide Resources
The NASP Practice Model Implementation Guide is organized into five areas relevant to enhancing practice using the NASP Practice Model as both the framework for change and the end goal.
- Getting Started
Like the model itself, the guide is designed to be flexible.
- The NASP Practice Model is designed to promote provision of a full range of services to meet the needs of your school or district.
- The NASP Practice Model is not a job description, and not every school psychologist will be engaged in all aspects of the model; rather, it identifies what services can reasonably be expected from school psychologists.
- The guide provides concrete yet independent suggestions and resources that you can use and adapt to your specific circumstance; it is not a prescriptive or sequential set of instructions or a program.
- Depending on the context, alignment with the NASP Practice Model may constitute changing the role of the school psychologist.
- The NASP Practice Model can be used to explain to key stakeholders what school psychologists are doing in a district or state.
- Suggestions in the guide can be used by individual practitioners to improve their individual practice and by administrators/supervisors to spur systems change to improve school psychological practices on a more comprehensive level.
- Effective, sustainable change takes time, patience, commitment, and collaboration.
- Every step toward the NASP Practice Model helps improve services to students, families, and schools.
After reading this section, you will be able to:
- Describe the intention of the NASP Practice Model and this guide.
- Navigate the guide to meet your needs.
- Acknowledge your potential impact in aligning your role with the NASP Practice Model.
Assistance to States: Resources to Support Implementation of the NASP Practice Model
This webinar presents an overview of resources to support implementation of the NASP Practice Model at the state level, including an overview of the NASP Practice Model Implementation Guide.