In This Section
NCSP Legislation in State Statutes
There are currently five states with state statutes that award stipends to school psychologists holding the NCSP: Colorado, Delaware, Louisiana, Nevada, and Oklahoma. The passage of state legislation awarding stipends to school psychologists holding the NCSP is more likely to be supported in states where:
- Teachers and administrators are awarded a stipend for earning National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certification.
- A shortage of school psychologists is documented resulting in the need for recruitment and retention incentives.
- Some individual school districts have already passed board policies supporting the awarding of stipends to professionals holding national certification.
- The legislative proposal is fully funded by state funds and does not require local school districts to contribute.
- The state legislature and department of education have a powerful influence on local school district practices.
The statutory language for awarding NCSP school psychologists will differ from state to state.