Parent/Caregiver Suicide: Resources for Children and Schools
By Danielle Guttman-Lapin, PhD, NCSP, School Psychologist, Aldine ISD, Coordinator-Elect, Crisis Management & Grief Support in the Schools Interest Group
According to a Johns Hopkins Study (2010), children of parents who die by suicide are at increased risk for suicide and other psychiatric disorders, highlighting the need to support these students. Here are a few helpful resources to support this vulnerable population:
- Child Mind Institute: "Coping with a Parent's Suicide"
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: "Returning to School After a Suicide Loss: For Teens"
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: "Children, Teens, and Suicide Loss" Pamphlet
- The Dougy Center: National Center for Grieving Children and Families, includes tip sheets and handouts
- When Grief/Loss Hits Close to Home: Tips for Caregivers