NASP School Psychologist of the Year: Hints for Nominators and Candidates
The following information may be helpful to you in submitting nomination materials for the School Psychologist of the Year Award (SPY).
Letters of Support (4)
- community support personnel, parents, etc.) to write letters of support. The committee prefers to see a variety of letter writers rather than all school personnel.
- Letters of support should avoid repeating information in the candidate's resume/vita. They should, instead, focus on providing information about the skills this person has demonstrated as a school psychologist in these areas: leadership problem solving skills and abilities; interpersonal skills with colleagues, parents, children, and administrators; professional and ethical behavior, performing their job in an exemplary manner, earning the respect of others, and any of the domains of practice.
- Please feel free to share the NASP 2020 domains of practice with those who will be writing letters.
- It is not necessary to have letters of recommendation or support on letterhead.
- If letters of support are more than 2 pages (12-point font, standard margins) the awards co-chairs will only provide the reviewers the first two pages of the communication.
- Only 4 letters of support may be submitted. If more than 4 letters are received, only the first four letters received will be provided to the review committee.
- These are long answer essay questions. Responses should be no more than the 1000-word limit. This is your opportunity to express to the review committee what you do well and in a sense brag about yourself and your accomplishments.
- Please include your name and the page number in the header or footer of each page of your essay question.
Resume or Vita
- Your resume/vita should reflect the knowledge and skills you possess as well as services you have provided to students, families, and schools in your career as a school psychologist. A full or complete resume/vita should be submitted as part of the nomination materials.
- Please include your name and the page number in the header or footer of each page of your resume.
- Please remember to include presentations you have made to a school staff, parent group, district staff, community members, etc. Include the topic, audience, and date of presentation.
- Also remember to include articles you have written for school or district newsletters, your local newspaper, your state association newsletter, etc., when listing references for publications.
- Please send only the documents required and no additional materials, books, etc. Any extra documents submitted will not be shared with reviewers.
- All written materials submitted should be written in 12-point font, single spaced, standard margins, and limited to 2 pages or 1000 words as specified.
- ALL nomination materials should be sent by the due date in one email message to firstname.lastname@example.org · ONLY electronic documents may be submitted.
- PDF documents are recommended.