In This Section
Accepts NCSP as a route to school based credential (in addition to state exams) and satisfies renewal requirements for those at the Master Teacher Certificate level.
Requires graduation from a program approved by NASP or APA.
- Initial Certificate: granted for the first 3 years of employment. The initial certificate requires an approved three-credit AK studies class and an approved three-credit multicultural class.
- Type C Special Services Certificate: received after 3 years of employment.
- School Psychology Master Teacher Certificate: can be obtained after receiving the initial certificate if applicant obtains the NCSP.
- Provisional Certificate: can be issued until Alaska studies and multicultural courses are taken (see below)
- Emergency Certificate: may be granted at the request of a school district. A district is unlikely to request a waiver unless the applicant had completed their education.
For an endorsement in school psychology, you must also hold a master's or higher degree in school psychology; be recommended by an institution whose school psychology program has been approved by NASP or APA; and have completed a 1200-hour internship (with 600 of the hours in a school setting); or maintain the NCSP.School psychologists may be eligible for a Type B Special Education Administrative Certificate.
Continuing Education Requirements:
School psychologists holding a Type C Special Services certificate must have completed a minimum of 6 graduate semester hours, a minimum of 3 which must be at the upper division or graduate level), within the life of the credential being renewed. Content must be related to certificate area/endorsement. For those holding the NCSP and the Master Teacher Certificate, submitting one's NCSP is sufficient for renewal and does not require a fee, although requires submission every 3 years.
Scope of Practice:
The SEA credential does not allow for practice in any other arena other than the schools. To practice outside of schools, one must apply through the Board of Professional Counselors or the Board of Psychologists and Psychological Associate Examiners. Psychologists must have doctorate as minimum education to obtain a license for private practice.No Applied Behavior Analysis credential exists within the state.
AK Department of Education and Early Development Teacher Certification:
Psychology board website: http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/ppsy.htm