"Success in School/Skills for Life" Online Resource
Supporting Children's Mental Health Matters
The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has created
this electronic "Success In School/Skills for Life" Online Resource
Kit to help schools provide parents easy access to basic information
about their children's academic, emotional, and social development. School
psychologists are trained to identify and help address a wide range
of issues that can impact a child's school experience. They are an
important resource for parents, teachers, and students.
Handouts are free and can be downloaded to your school website.
Many are available in Spanish and English.
Focus on Mental Health
Handouts this year focus on children's mental health and the role of school-based
mental health services in promoting students' success in school and life.
Also included are handouts on homework and academic focus.
Special Bonus: Color PDF of the NASP 2011 poster, "Supporting Mental
Mental Health Handouts
- Accommodations for Testing Students With Disabilities: Information
for Parents-English, Spanish
- Aggression in Adolescents: Strategies for Parents and Educators-English
- Anxiety and Anxiety Disorders in Children: Information for Parents-English, Spanish
- Attachment: Information and Strategies for Parents-English
- Bullying Prevention: What Schools and Parents Can Do-English
- Children's Reaction to Trauma: Suggestions for Parents-English
- Coping With Crisis - Helping Children With Special Needs-English
- Depression in Children and Adolescents-English
- Eating Disorders in Adolescence: Information for Parents and Educators-English
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Information for Parents and Educators-English
- Preventing Suicide: Information for Caregivers and Educators-English
- Resiliency: Strategies for Parents and Educators-English
- Save a Friend: Tips for Teens to Prevent Suicide-English
- School Completion and Student Engagement: Information and Strategies
- Self-Esteem: A Handout for Parents-English
- Social Skills: Promoting Positive Behavior, Academic Success,
and School Safety-English
- Sports Participation for Children: A Parent's Guide-English
- Stress in Children: A Handout for Parents-English, Spanish
- Substance Abuse in Children and Adolescents: Information for Parents and Educators
- Teaching Young Children Self-Control Skills-English
- Verbal Aggression: Coping Strategies for Children-English
- What Is a School Psychologist-English, Spanish
- Academic Motivation: A Handout for Parents-English, Spanish
- Attention Problems: Strategies for Parents-English, Spanish
- Homework Survival Guide-English, Spanish
- Home-School Conferences: A Guide for Parents-English
- Response to Intervention: A Primer for Parents-English
- Study Skills: A Handout for Parents-English, Spanish
Handouts provide background information, suggested strategies, recommended
next steps, and additional resources. The information is not intended
as a comprehensive prescription and parents should be advised to seek
additional help if a problem persists. The handouts include links to
additional resources on the NASP and NASP Center websites, but we also
encourage you to provide contact information for your school psychologist.
Register and Download Your Kit
Schools can access the Tool Kit free of charge, register for the program, and download the fact sheets to your site. You may also include a direct link, on your website, so that that parents can download handouts from NASP themselves.
School professionals and organizations (e.g., the PTA) may print the
fact sheets individually for hard copy distribution. However, all fact
sheets must be disseminated in the original form and the information credited
to NASP, whether in print or online format. Parents may download handouts
for their personal use from either their school website or the NASP Center
website. Other uses or mass dissemination require specific permission
Register and download the kit.