Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Intersex, and Two Spirit (LGBTQI2-S) Committee
In This Section
This committee was established to identify actions NASP can take to fulfill the spirit of NASP's position statement on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning Youth. NASP believes that school psychologists are ethically obligated to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity for the development and expression of their personal identity in a school climate that is safe, accepting, and respectful of all persons and free from discrimination, harassment, violence, and abuse.
Objectives of the LGBTQI2-S Committee
- To monitor and respond to pertinent state and federal legislative initiatives and support those which improve the lives of LGBTQ students.
- To develop articles on LGBTQ youth and related school issues for Communiqué, School Psychology Review, and other publications.
- To develop handouts on LGBTQ issues for students, parents, school psychologists, and other educators.
- To provide reviews of books via the Communiqué to keep school psychologists, educators, and parents abreast of current research and information related to LGBTQ youth.
- To provide NASP members with current research and other relevant information on LGBTQ youth issues through presentations and special sessions at the annual NASP convention.
- To disseminate professional development resources on LGBTQ youth issues to school psychology graduate programs and school psychology practitioners.
- To build and maintain communication and collaboration within NASP membership, leadership, and other work groups, task forces, and interest groups.
- To collaborate with allied organizations and coalitions such as:
- American Psychological Association's Committee on Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Concerns
- Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Human Rights Campaign, Welcoming Schools Project
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (P-FLAG)
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition (NYAC)
- National Education Association's Gay & Lesbian Caucus
- National Gay and Lesbian Health Association and Family Pride
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's National Workshop to Address the Needs of Children and Youth Who Are LGBTQI2-S