Model School Psychology Intern Supervisor Recognition
Extending its work on the Best Practice Guidelines for School Psychology Intern Field Supervision and Mentoring, NASP and its Graduate Education Committee have created a program for recognizing field-based internship supervisors who consistently demonstrate these best practices in supervision and mentoring. Each professional selected for the recognition will be designated as a NASP-Recognized Model School Psychology Intern Supervisor.
Each NASP-approved program may nominate one internship supervisor per academic year and identify submission procedures using this nomination form. Deadlines for submission occur once per year on September 15.
The recognition is an honor and not a credential or certificate; thus, the recognition will have no expiration date. Based on the assumption that quality supervision and intern experiences requires collaboration between school psychology graduate programs, interns, and field sites (a process that has been evaluated by external peers as part of NASP program reviews) the nomination process for the recognition will originate with faculty or program directors in NASP-approved graduate programs. Nominations will also include the input of a colleague of the nominee and at least two interns who have received internship supervision from the nominee in recent years.
To qualify, the nominee must:
- have supervised at least two school psychology interns over the past five-year period;
- have consistently demonstrated the preponderance of qualities reflected in the NASP Best Practice Guidelines for Intern Field Supervision and Mentoring, with no major concerns noted;
- be a current NASP member (preference will be given to supervisors holding the Nationally Certified School Psychologist [NCSP] credential); and
- have not received the recognition in the last five years.
Model School Psychology Intern Supervisors (2016)
- Norma Brigido Zavala, Central Islip School District, NY
- Lisa Gainer, Monongalia County Schools, WV
- Emma Leah Hettrich, Commack School District, NY
- Bruce Kelsay, Addison Trail High School, IL
- Robert Kubick, Akron Public Schools, OH
- Ravit Stein, EASTCONN, CT
- Bruce Weiner, Berlin Central School District, MA
Model School Psychology Intern Supervisors (2015)
- Sylvia Cohen, Scottsdale Unified School District, AZ
- Kelly Juskiv, Henry-Stark Counties Special Education District #801, IL
- Robyn Kurasaki, New Hyde Park-Garden City Park School District, NY
- Michelle LaForest, Long Beach Public Schools, NY
- David Lillenstein, Derry Township School District, PA
- Sandra Manning, Richland School District Two, SC
- Michael Markowitz, Southwestern City Schools, OH