President's Special Strands
Sessions within the 2013 NASP President's Special Strands will be presented to help carry the convention theme throughout the week. These strands will include featured and special sessions as well as a number of sessions selected from the proposals accepted for presentation via the NASP 2013 Annual Convention Call for Presentation Proposals Submission System.
Strand 1: Investing in Leaders: Minority Scholarship Recipients
This strand recognizes the importance of investing in the future leaders of our profession by highlighting the work of the ERT Minority Scholarship alumni. Established in 1995, the NASP-ERT Minority Scholarship Program was developed to support minority students as they pursue their specialist level studies. The diversity of the research and topics offered by these award winners underscores the benefit of having diversity within the field and at the convention.
- PA630 Multilevel Analyses Examining Relationships Between School Climate and Culture
- PA093 Diversifying the Pipeline: Persistence Strategies for Graduate Students of Color
- PA114 Examining Parental Perceptions of Body Weight in Children
- PA558 Growing Up ELL: What School Psychologists Can Do to Help
- PO663 Analysis of LGBT Content in School Support Personnel Journals
- PO032 Disciplinary Disproportionality: The Role of Bias and Social Desirability
Strand 2: Innovative Leaders: Implementing Creative Solutions
This strand highlights innovative programs that meet the needs of students who are often marginalized by the education system. Through learning about these resourceful solutions, you'll head back to your district ready to address the complicated situations you face in your own schools with a creative and open mind.
- MS086 Supporting and Educating Traumatized Children
- MS127 Evidence-Based Practices for School Refusal and Truancy
- SY055 Promoting the Educational Success of Refugee Newcomer Students and Families
- SY028 Review and Discussion of Tools to Assist Grieving Students
- MS121 Students Who Self-Injure: School-Based Strategies Based on DBT
- PA731 Response of English Language Learners to Evidence-Based Interventions
Convention Theme Related Sessions
In addition to the Presidential Strands, there are also several sessions related the convention theme. These presentations highlight ways for you to help build leaders in your district and be a leader yourself!
- MS062 Keep Your Principal From Getting Fired: An Evidence-Based Practice
- MS064 Understanding and Promoting a Growth Mindset
- MS071 School Psychologists' Role: Ensuring Quality Core Instruction in Common Core
- MS187 Leading and Innovating Through Strength-Based Inquiry
- MS215 School Psychologists as Leaders in Climate Change: A District Response
- PA428 A Seat at the Table … Facilitating Comprehensive Literacy Reform
- PA729 Interventions and the NASP Practice Model: Opportunities for School Psychology