Last modified: 04/23/2014
Employment at NASP
The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), is a professional membership association with 25,000 members, a $7.0 million budget, and a staff of 30. NASP is located in downtown Bethesda, MD three blocks from the Metro. NASP represents school psychology and supports school psychologists to enhance the learning and mental health of all children and youth.
Meetings Manager reporting directly to the Director of Meetings and Conventions.
Meeting and Convention Management
- Coordinate the selection process of meeting sites for various professional meetings, including the RFP process, contract review, etc.
- Plan, execute, and supervise all pre-event and on-site logistics for designated meetings, including oversight and coordination of registration and housing management systems, shipping, catering, etc.
- In conjunction with the Manager, Marketing and Directors of Meetings and Conventions and Communications, develop and implement marketing strategies to expand and increase revenue from annual conventions and expositions, summer conferences, and other designated meetings.
- Prepare copy for and, in conjunction with the Manager, Marketing and Directors of Meetings and Conventions and Production, oversee production of all publications and promotional materials for designated meetings.
- Coordinate and further develop NASP convention sponsorship program.
- Coordinate session recording logistics, including notification of selected presenters, securing release forms, collection of handouts, on-site logistics, etc.
- Coordinate and manage provision of sign language interpreters for annual conventions.
- Serve as on-site contact/coordinator to Workshop and Convention Assistant Co-chairs and student leaders.
- Recommend updates/revisions to Meetings and Conventions department policies and procedures.
- Design, maintain, and follow a master timetable of projects and activities for designated meetings.
- Keep department Director apprised of issues as they occur throughout the year.
Income and Financial Management
- Develop and monitor budgets for designated meetings.
- Monitor expenditures to control cost and improve profitability.
- Provide financial reporting and forecasting as requested by the department Director.
- Review, verify, and code invoices from designated meetings for approval by the Director.
Leader, Volunteer, and Staff Support
- Provide meeting management services for designated committee meetings.
- Solicit committee meeting dates from NASP staff for use in creation and maintenance of master meeting/planning calendar.
- Negotiate contracts with local hotels for committee meetings for approval by Director.
- Serve as liaison for booking committee meetings, submitting rooming lists provided by staff liaisons, submitting catering and set-up specifications as needed, etc.
- Participate in biannual meetings of NASP Convention Committee.
- Serve as contact and resource to NASP leaders and volunteers who request meeting management information, guidance, and assistance.
- Meet or exceed NASP’s customer service standards in all interactions.
- Uphold NASP policies and procedures. Set examples of NASP standards, i.e., attendance, punctuality, professionalism, fairness, consistency, and a ‘hands-on’ approach to work assignments.
- Provide telephone coverage for Meetings and Conventions Department calls
- Perform other duties and activities within designated time frames as appropriate or requested by Director of Meetings and Conventions.
Must be able to travel several times a year. Customer service orientation a priority, as is a proven ability to work with volunteers and staff. Demonstrate tact, diplomacy and excellent verbal and written communications skills. Applicant must be proficient in MS Word and Excel. Working knowledge of iMIS database a plus. Successful applicant will have a Bachelor's degree and three years of experience in meeting planning or hotel convention services, be a self-starter, and able to work within designated deadlines. Association or non-profit experience preferred.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and prescription plan (individual coverage paid at 100%), 401(k), annual and sick leave, short and long term disability and a generous holiday schedule.*
Please send letter of interest with highlighted accomplishments, resume, three writing samples, and salary requirements (required) via e-mail to HR@naspweb.org. Interviews (phone and in person) will commence as soon as possible.
*NASP reserves the right to modify, amend, or terminate any policies or procedures relating to the employee benefit program