2012 Children’s Fund Service Project
Philadelphia Service Project with Turning Points for Children
The 2012 Children’s Fund service project will be in collaboration with Turning Points for Children (TPFC) and Families and Schools Together (FAST), directed by Kim Jones and John Luke. A summary of the project which is multi-faceted follows:
- Up to 15 of Children’s Fund members and board members will participate in a special after-school program, Friday, February 24, 2012, starting at 3:00 p.m. and running through 6:00 p.m., Families And Schools Together (F.A.S.T.). The venue will be the Blaine Elementary School in North Philadelphia.
- Participation opportunities will include serving the meal to participant families/children.
- In addition to the service project, the Children’s Fund will be providing a grant of $12,500 to Turning Points for Children, allocated as follows:
- $2,500 for enhancements including activity bags for all children participating in the 30 elementary schools; this will enrich special play 1-on-1 time with parent and child.
- $5,000 for all 30 elementary schools, age appropriate books that directly align to the reading curriculum for participant children – specifically related to curriculum objectives in TPFC’s educational improvement approved segment of F.A.S.T. The objectives include, but are not limited to: remedial support; vocabulary building; supplemental English; enhanced love of learning; and, by design, another activity the engages parent/caregiver with child.
- $5,000 for two additionalcontracted, Pennsylvania certified teachers so that the educational improvement program component can be implemented and offered in two additional F.A.S.T. elementary schools, in Philadelphia, for one cycle, with target cycle Spring semester, 2012.
Board members will fill 9 of the 15 available “slots” but there are still 6 openings. If you are interested in participating, please contact Mark Roth, Children’s Fund President.